Are you looking for a new job or career path? It can be tough to decide what’s right for you–especially without first hand experience! If you’re someone who likes social interaction, helping people, physical activity, and/or a ton of room for advancement, something in consumer services may be right for you.
What is a career in consumer services?
A career in consumer services involves working in an industry that focuses on meeting the needs and expectations of consumers. Think retail, hospitality, financial services, etc. Jobs in consumer services may involve interacting with customers, providing products or services, and/or helping to resolve any issues or concerns that come up. If you’ve worked in customer service before, you’ve worked in consumer services.
How many jobs are available in consumer services in 2023?
It’s tough to provide a specific number for the number of jobs available in consumer services, because the industry is diverse. We’re still waiting on up-to-date information about consumer services jobs in 2023, but here are some key facts from the past few years:
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment for retail workers is expected “to show little or no change from 2021 to 2031.” Statista counted U.S. retail workers in 2021 at 15.7 million.
- The BLS anticipates that the hospitality industry will add 1.9 million jobs between 2021 and 2031. That’s a lot of growth, with plenty of opportunities for hiring!
- In the financial services industry, there are 7,782,779 employees in 2023, according to IBISWorld.
Is consumer services a good career path?
Consumer services can be a good career path for some people. Make sure to consider whether a career in consumer services aligns with your personal strengths, interests, and goals before making a decision. Consumer services might be a good career path for you if you like working with people, seeing tangible results in your day-to-day work, and/or flexibility in your long-term job prospects.
What companies are in the consumer service field? What are the types of consumer services?
Companies in the consumer services field include:
- Marriott International
- Hilton Worldwide
- Extended Stay America
- Carnival Cruise Lines
- Johnson & Johnson
Financial services companies
- Bank of America
- JPMorgan Chase
- TD Ameritrade
What are the pros and cons of working in consumer services?
The pros of working in consumer services include:
- Diverse opportunities across exciting industries.
- Opportunity to work with many other people on a daily basis.
- Potential for personal and professional growth.
On the other hand, the cons of working in consumer services include:
- May involve working irregular or long hours, depending on the job.
- May involve dealing with difficult or unhappy customers.
- Some positions may have low pay or limited advancement opportunities.
Do I need a degree to work in consumer services?
You don’t need a degree to work in consumer services. Many jobs in this industry are entry-level and don’t require a college degree. However, having a degree can sometimes be beneficial, especially for certain positions or sectors within consumer services. For example, a degree in healthcare administration may be helpful for those interested in pursuing a leadership role in a healthcare facility. It is also worth noting that some consumer service jobs may require specific certifications or training, such as food safety certification for those working in the food industry. Ultimately, the specific requirements for a job in consumer services will depend on the position and the employer.
How can I get started in consumer services?
To get started in the consumer services field, you can:
- Research and identify companies that align with your personal interests and goals.
- Build relevant skills and experience through education and internships.
- Develop a strong resume and cover letter highlighting your relevant skills and experience.
- Search for and apply for consumer services jobs. Be prepared to showcase your abilities in job interviews.
Whether you’re interested in retail, hospitality, healthcare, or another sector within consumer services, there are tons of options available.